California’s summer season beckons travelers with a multitude of exciting destinations near Los Angeles. From tranquil islands to arid deserts and chic cities, here are five must-visit places to experience during the summer:
- Catalina Island: Escape to the enchanting Catalina Island, a short ferry or cruise ride away from Los Angeles. With its crystal-clear waters and abundant marine life, the island is a haven for water activities such as snorkeling, scuba diving, and kayaking. Hike through the scenic interior, taking in breathtaking vistas of the Pacific Ocean. As the sun sets, relax on the beach, and experience the island’s charming nightlife in Avalon or Two Harbors.
- Joshua Tree National Park: Venture eastward to Joshua Tree National Park, a surreal desert landscape adorned with the iconic Joshua trees. While the summer heat can be intense, exploring early in the morning or late in the afternoon allows you to witness the park’s unique rock formations and diverse flora and fauna. Experience a magical stargazing session as the night sky unfolds over this celestial wonderland.
- Palm Springs: Embrace the desert oasis of Palm Springs, located just a short drive from Los Angeles. In the summer, the city offers a mix of relaxation and recreation. Unwind in luxurious resorts, take refreshing dips in resort pools, and indulge in rejuvenating spa treatments. For adventure seekers, hike the Indian Canyons or take a thrilling aerial tramway ride up to the San Jacinto Peak for stunning panoramas.
- Santa Barbara: Heading northwest from Los Angeles, you’ll find the charming coastal city of Santa Barbara. Known for its Mediterranean-style architecture and pristine beaches, Santa Barbara offers a relaxed summer vibe. Stroll along State Street, explore the historic Santa Barbara Mission, and soak up the sun on East Beach or Butterfly Beach. Don’t miss a visit to the Santa Barbara Zoo for a fun family outing.
- Big Bear Lake: For a refreshing mountain escape, head to Big Bear Lake, nestled in the San Bernardino Mountains. During the summer, the area comes alive with outdoor activities. Enjoy hiking and mountain biking on picturesque trails, go boating or kayaking on the lake, or experience the thrill of zip-lining. The cool mountain air and breathtaking scenery make it a perfect summer retreat.
- Solvang: Travel to the quaint town of Solvang, located in the Santa Ynez Valley, northwest of Los Angeles. This charming Danish-inspired village is a unique summer destination. Stroll along the streets adorned with half-timbered buildings, explore boutique shops, and savor Danish pastries and cuisine.
California’s diverse landscape and range of activities make it an ideal summer destination. Whether you’re drawn to the island allure of Catalina, the surreal beauty of Joshua Tree, the desert oasis of Palm Springs, the coastal charm of Santa Barbara, or the mountain tranquility of Big Bear Lake, these five destinations offer an unforgettable California summer experience. Pack your bags, embrace the sunshine, and embark on a memorable journey through the Golden State.
We highly recommend our students to visit these places on the weekend or even during their vacation. Enjoy, everyone!